huayshan and marianne

Sunday, September 21, 2008

my new life

i'm in birmingham!! and i have so much to tell. but let me show you my room first. meant to take pics of the campus but i'll do that tomorrow. so here goesss...


the outside corridor. where my four flatmates are. i have an awesome lounge/kitchen next door i show you all next time! the two doors on the right are toilets btw. =)

okay now for the more important details. WHATS IT LIKE.

the flight sucked. that's for sure. i hate flying. officially.

i took the airport pick-up service and it went awesome. talked to a few malaysians, got along VERY well. and some international students came over to talk to me and they were friendly, no discrimination AT ALL. i was happy then. then when i first arrived at the hostel, the seniors literally carried my bags all over the place. they were delightful and friendly and awesome.

my room's gorgeous. spacey and private. and i've met three out of four of my housemates. two brits, one french. all very friendly. i love one brit(medic also!) and the french. we were walking to the bar for some talk then there was supposed to be drinks and all after the talk but i felt bloody awkward lah. the two of them asked if i wanted to go back and i was like YES!(cause im freaking sleepy. flight 18 hrs including transit) and they then told me that they weren't very comfortable with drinking.

in all, i love the campus, i love being here. i'm glad for my flatmates. BUT.. here's the big but. i feel different. the culture shock is settling in haha. hopefully when the other singaporeans/malaysians come along it'll get better. the brits are funny people but i can't converse fluently with them most of the time and i'm bloody scared of joining all their events. my plan-study hard and pick up friends along the way. i shall avoid the crazy partying. true, a part of me wants to be a part of that but let's face it i'm an outsider. but i'm going to slowly fit in and in time, i'll have my share of fun. so it's a bittersweet experience. looking forward to getting to know my flatmates better though=) miss singapore so so much. i miss being part of the fun people=) i'm not cool here lor. hahahahhaa.

lots of love,shan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home