huayshan and marianne

Thursday, March 12, 2009

finally some Xcitement!

so..

i was feeling mildly depressed for a few weeks- i had nth but work to do and to look forward to, i spent my days in the library and school and my room, i barely went out and yeh, life was bawRING.

decided to try join the uni kayak club!

facebooked them, msged one of the members and i was told to come down on the day i received the msg(2 hrs later to be precise) or the day after(today!)

i was FRIGGIN nervous.

you have no idea. i don't know ANYONE in the kayak club, i didn't know what to expect and worst of all it's the middle of term, so i'ld be the only newbie. yeah fine i'm a scared, insecure wimp but wouldn't you have felt the same way?

so i went ytd, after whining on the phone to my friends for a half hr, and it was really good. the girls were really really friendly, they tapped me and talked to me i didn't even need to try! and there were hardly any awkward i-dont-know-what-to-do moments cause just as i was talking to this girl, a guy was like, hey wanna give it a go? ok back off abit... basically tuesdays(the first day i went, ie ytd) are learning days. the guys usually fool around doing stunts and take turns to help the girls out, teach us stuff. so this guy taught me a little, was really nice and then this other guy took over. he was nice too but he abandoned me halfway haha i think cause he thought i was bored with him but bloody hell i'm just not as hyper and chirpy as the other angmohs! anyhow, for a bit i paddled around aimlessly (oh btw all this was in a swimming pool) cause all the other girls had instructors with them and the guys were doing crazy things at one end. then abt 15 mins later and many laps across the breadth of the pool later(BREADTH mind you, not LENGTH) a lovely guy swam up to me and offered to help. and halfway through another lovely guy came to help. from then on it was gorgeous.

but i was still really nervous about going today and i couldn't study actually even though i have a MAJOR test on friday. but i went and it was so much better than i expected! wednesdays are kayak polo days and i only got to play in 1 out of 4 games ( this lovely guy offered me his boat but the captain asked him to stay on) and it was amazing! haha firstly, i suck. thank you. i now know i am no kayaker. nor kayak-polo-er. i was paddling around aimlessly AGAIN worrying a lot abt capsizing. but strangely enough i got the ball quite often. bad news is that i bloody couldn't tell who was in my team. hahaha ended up looking stupid with the huge helmet blinding me and a ball sitting in my hands. but it was quite good fun.

im just glad cause the guys were really nice. they're all mighty friendly and almost all of them came up to me at one point or another to introduce themselves or offer a helping hand. which brings me to another retarded moment. i COULDNT GET OUT OF THE BOAT. help! i dont deserve to be called a kayaker!! so i tried a few times, gave up, looked up and saw a guy and grinned the sheepish huayshan grin and mewed "help!" . and the girls were SO NICE! omg nicer than medics i swear! and they were asking me why i joined and when i told them they were like OMG I WOULD HAVE BEEN SO SCARED. and that's when my hyper-ness matched theirs i bounced up and went OHMYGOD I AM SO SCARED!! hahaha they were all so friendly, didn't leave me out, argh were really nice. and they wouldnt let me walk back alone and made me walk back with this guy who's a bit brooding quiet kind, and it was a rather awkward walk back but ohwellllll. hahahhah.

argh but its still diff adjusting to their culture- i'm still VERY self-conscious abt them not understanding me and sometimes i just dont know what to say back. like they're very hyper la!! they really are i don't know how to describe it. and i'm very like ...... in comparison. so that's tough a little.

i think i'm going to join the club. next session is next tues. you know what's great? the feeling of doing sth that's UNRELATED TO MEDICINE. i love it i do, but i need a break sometimes! i love that i have a life, FRIENDS outside med sch. makes me feel so much happier now. i still dont know them v well and am not v familiar with them but hopefully as time goes by, it'll get better. :) are u guys happy for me???

HUG

huay shan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home