huayshan and marianne

Friday, January 14, 2011

about my new placement (:

OKAY!!!

it's been quite an interesting week- been staying at Hereford and I just got back today, feels quite surreal! It's like having two separate lives. again.

I got there last Sunday and met all 9 of my fellow medics and they're all really nice, I get on with everyone quite well and I love the rooms cause they're realllly warm and BIG and it's fun, it's kinda like being in halls again, the other medics live either right across the corridor, or in a nearby flat and our flat doors are unlocked so it's nice barging into everyone's flats heh.

There's also another medic called Shaan and the fun starts when we are in the same room with other people.

"Shan, what are you doing later?"
"Oh.. going for surgery....."
"NOT you, GIRL SHAN"

"So what are the causes of xxx Shan?"
*Shan and Shaan cock heads up to look at the lecturer*
"HAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHHA"(everyone)

There are also so few of us that we're alone most of the time- in my previous placement, every GROUP was assigned a ward and now everyONE is assigned their own ward. I'm on a surgical rotation now and last week I scrubbed in for the first time it was amazing! And again, because there are so few of us, we each got assigned our own surgical theatres and I was in orthopedics (think bones, joints, muscles) and it was disgustingly gory. I held a patient's arm while the surgeon drilled nails into a metal plate that was holding his fractured bones together. Wasn't queasy, strangely enough, was just fascinated. I spent another 4 hours watching this instrument being fit around this guy's leg- almost fainted here cause 4 HOURS on my feet wearing a heavy xray apron is no joke. Google external fixation if you wanna see what I saw, it's like something out of Saw.

It's nice being home but I kinda am looking forward to going back on Sunday evening (: We're gonna watch a film on someone's laptop when we get back, excited!

huay shan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home